IMPORTANCE OF EXERCISING DAILY
Physical exercise, or also commonly referred to as work out, is a bodily activity performed for specific reasons either to maintain your weight or good physical fitness.
Sufficient and regular physical activity promotes functional health and delays or prevents non-communicable diseases such as coronary heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, or cholesterol.
People are less active nowadays, partly because technology has made our lives easier. We drive cars or take public transport. Machines wash our clothes. We entertain ourselves in front of a TV or computer screen. Fewer people are doing manual work, and most of us have jobs that involve little physical effort. Work, household chores, shopping, and other necessary activities are far less demanding than for previous generations.
Do Malaysians exercise?
According to statistics and various media reports, Malaysians are not only not exercising but also eating unhealthily.
However, in recent years, Malaysians are struggling to control their weight to look good to resemble the models portrayed in the media. Based on a survey conducted by The Nielsen Company (M) Sdn Bhd, about 81% of Malaysians are striving to change their eating habits while 77% aim to work out in the gymnasium.
But based on the statistics provided, about 35% of the respondents who participated in the research said that they exercise less than once weekly, while 39% said they do exercise once or twice weekly. That practically shows that even overweight Malaysians are not exercising to reduce their weight, citing lack of time.
Benefits of Exercise
· Improves your physical fitness
· Improves balance, coordination, and gait.
· Increases energy to cope with your normal daily tasks.
· It improves your self-esteem and reduces anxiety.
· Quicker recovery from illness and stress.
· Controls your blood pressure and strengthens your heart.-
· It improves glucose control.
· Retards osteoporosis.
· Greater opportunity to meet other people.
(Source MyHealth KKM)
Ways to make exercise a part of my routine
Make everyday activities more active. Even small changes can help. You can take the stairs instead of the elevator. Wash the car yourself. Park further away from your destination.
Be active with friends and family. Having a workout partner may make you more likely to enjoy exercise. You can also plan social activities that involve exercise.
Keep track of your progress. Keeping a log of your activity or using a fitness tracker may help you set goals and stay motivated.
Find activities that you can do even when the weather is bad. You can walk in a mall, climb stairs, or work out in a gym, even if the weather stops you from exercising outside.
Exercise and physical activity are great ways to feel better, boost your health, and have fun. Recommendation for most healthy adults are:-
· At least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread this exercise throughout the week. Examples include running, walking, or swimming. Even small amounts of physical activity are helpful, and accumulated activity throughout the day adds up to provide health benefits.
· Strength training exercises for all major muscle groups at least two times a week. Examples include lifting free weights, using weight machines, or doing body-weight training.
Consult our physiotherapist at DBC PHYSIOTHERAPY MALAYSIA before starting a new exercise program, especially if you have any concerns about your fitness, haven't exercised for a long time, have chronic health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes or arthritis.